Pennsylvania License Plate Lookup
Buying a used car instead of new in Pennsylvania is a wise decision if you want to bag a bargain and save money in the process. Just make sure you do your homework well. If you have the license plate, you can get the full history including mileage, accidents, recalls, services, the number of owners. Simply enter the plate number to get records instantly. Don’t have the Plate number? Simply use the VIN Lookup tool on our website.
How to Lookup Any Pennsylvania License Plate Number
Pennsylvania License plate lookup will help you obtain all the information about the car you are searching. Under state law two license plates are required to be issued for most cars, vans and trucks. Trailers and Motorcycles require only one license plate. Every 8 years Pennsylvania has a law that requires the license plate design to change which must be easily distinguishable from the previous design.
If a license plate has been lost or stolen, a new or duplicate license plate and registration certificate will be issued by the Pennsylvania County Treasurer. Damaged license plates must be submitted to the Pennsylvania County Treasurer when you receive your new license plates.
By using our License plate lookup feature you can obtain information from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation also known as the Pennsylvania DOT. You can get information related to vehicle specifications, ownership history, services history, title history, accident & damage checks, mileage records & recalls check. Each look up contains over 60 verifications covering every aspect of the vehicle. Simply enter the Pennsylvania license plate number into the field above and get instant results. At times, the license plate results in no results due to various reasons. Simply locate the VIN Number off the vehicle and use our VIN check tool to get the full history.
Pennsylvania DMV Resources
The website for the Pennsylvania DMV provides basic and crucial information that is beneficial for drivers and vital statistics for those who need to acquire important documents. The website itself is easy to navigate and has numerous services that are available to you right at the comfort of your own home.
The services that are provided to you through this website are remarkable. As well as very easy to understand and navigate. Like most websites there is a section for general information about office locations, hours and contact information for near your residence. When you first enter the website, you will see many options that are rather self explanatory so you can quickly navigate to what you are initially looking for. If you are a driver then you have the ability to get information on how to renew or replace your drivers license and if you are a new driver you can make an appointment right on the website to get your learner’s permit and take your required tests. Again if you are a new driver and have not taken your written test then there are practice test and handbook that you can get from the website to help you along the way.
There is a section for vehicle owners who want to obtain car titles or register their newly purchased vehicle. You have the option to change information like your address and name right from the DMV website so you do not have to go all the way to a ground location.
Another key thing that is available to you is access to your driving and criminal records. Alongside this you can find information on how to get a birth or marriage certificate. You have the option to apply for both from this site.
There is so much more content that is shown on the Pennsylvania DMV website. As you go through the website you will find a great amount of information on how to get plates and tags for your car(s) and exact pricing for each service that is provided by the department of motor vehicles. Extra information is also there to assist you in understanding car insurance and tips for buying your first car. Forms are also uploaded for you to print depending on what application you specifically need. No information is unsaid on this website so you wouldn’t even need to call in.
Why should you run an Pennsylvania VIN Check?
- To check for accidents – around 8 million car accidents are reported annually by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- To check for title brands – flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands to look for before you purchase a used car
- Look for used-cars that have had special-purpose designations – including taxi use, rental use, police use, commercial use and more.
- To check and see if the vehicle has been stolen – the rates of stolen cars in Pennsylvania in the year 2016 were 31.2 cars stolen per day. By running a license plate search you are ensuring that you are not purchasing a stolen car or a car with stolen parts.
Statistics on Accidents, Theft and Disasters:
- Number of cars registered as of 2018: 4,424,183.
- Accidents (Source: 2018 Pennsylvania Crash Report)
- 235,907 traffic accidents resulted in 62,653 cases of injuries and 2,389 resulted in fatalities.
- In 2016. Pennsylvania crash fatality rate was higher than the national crash fatality rate (1.56 vs 1.15 per hundred million vehicle miles).
- 52.7% of the total crashes involved passenger cars.
- In their lifetime, typical drivers in Pennsylvania have a greater than one-in-three chance of being in a crash resulting to injury or death.
- Motor Vehicle Theft (Source: 2016 Crime in Pennsylvania Report)
- Motor vehicle theft rate for Pennsylvania in 2016 was 234.5 thefts for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- On average, there were 31.2 motor vehicles stolen per day.
- Natural Disasters / Hazards
- Pennsylvania ranks as 13th most disaster-prone state with 52 major disaster declarations from 1953 to 2017 (Source: NBC News report).
- The state is prone to tropical storms and hurricanes, and most of the state is located in a region of tornado alley known as “Dixie Alley.”
Check for Loans & Liens on a vehicle in Pennsylvania
If you’re lucky enough, you don’t really know what are those liens or recalls. Let’s get a little bit deeper into this to give you an explanation on how it works.
Cars (and sometimes other vehicles) can be recalled by manufacturers if it turns out that some model has critical defects. In such cases, the recalled vehicles need to be repaired. Many car owner and dealers are too lazy or too busy to follow this procedure. Therefore, their cars go without repair but with leakages, out-of-order breaks, or dysfunctional airbags. Our records will show you whether a car had been recalled and whether it was repaired after that. All manufacturer recalls can be repaired for free at your local dealership.
A word lien means that a vehicle is used to secure a loan payment. If a debtor fails to pay, a creditor may sell the property, in our case car. You don’t want your car to be involved in manipulations like this. Say you purchase a vehicle from a buyer that did not notify you of a lien on the vehicle. What will happen is that the credit financing company will repossess the vehicle due to the lien regardless of you being a new owner and not incumbent on the lien. It is ALWAYS recommended to check a vehicle and ensure that loans & liens have been paid off.
Buying a used car in Pennsylvania?
Don’t make a costly mistake and end up with regrets. Run a License Plate Lookup on your Pennsylvania -registered vehicle and get all the facts. Premium VIN check utilizes national databases, such as, the NMVTIS, Department of Motor Vehicles, Ministry of Transportation, car manufacturers’ databases, insurance companies, car auctions, car dealers, state records, inspections stations and includes over 60 checks on every report.
Here’s what you can discover about any vehicle by doing a license plate lookup:
- The number of owners – Find out the number of owners the vehicle had including the number of owners, duration of ownership, registration details such as country, state and city of registration. Find out the duration of ownership of each owner in the vehicle’s history. Many customers have located their old vehicle using our VIN look up tool.
- Mileage information – Check odometer records on any vehicle by entering in the VIN number. Mileage information will include mileage, date and location when it was registered. The odometer records include title records, registration and renewals.
- Accidents history – In the event that the vehicle was seriously damaged previously, it tends to be hazardous to drive it since you may never realize how a vehicle performs at high speed after a full repair.
- Airbag deployment – You should ensure that the vehicle has all the airbags and, in the event that it doesn’t have, discover why.
- Vehicle Specifications – Every vehicle comes with special options and packages at the time of purchase. Using our license plate lookup tool, you can find detailed specifications such as model, trim, engine, transmission, fuel, exterior and interior options, standard safety features, air bags, audio system, braes, comfort features, convenience features and security features. Find out over 200+ specifications on any vehicle by running the check.
- Market Value – Wondering how much the vehicle is actually worth? Our report shows you the market value of the vehicle based on estimated mileage. Learn about depreciation and resale value of the vehicle compared to others being sold in the market.
- Warranty Status – Find out if the vehicle has any information including the type of coverage for warranty status.
- Police incidents – Each license plate lookup will verify information from law enforcement agencies to help determine if the vehicle had any claims. Find out if the vehicle has a clean history.
- Safety rating – Use our crash ratings guide to find useful information on the safety of the vehicle in a crash, including its technical capabilities to avoid accidents.
- Recall and Defect information – Vehicle’s are notorious for having recalls. Some of these recalls affect the safety and performance off the vehicle. Learn if the vehicle has had any manufacturer recalls. If there are defects, learn about their impact on safety and how to fix the issues.
- Department of Motor Vehicle Records – Every license plate lookup will verify title records from the Department of Motor Vehicles and government agencies. In Canada, this would be the Ministry of Transportation.
- Insurance Databases – Find out the number of claims made with insurance for the vehicle. It is highly recommended to verify if the vehicle has a clean history.
- Inspection Records – Multiple states have a law in place where emissions & safety inspections must be done yearly. Find out if the vehicle has had its yearly inspections done on time and if there were any outstanding issues with its inspections.
- Natural Disasters – When most people think of car damage, they assume the damage was caused by a collision. Natural disasters and intense weather conditions can cause significant damage to a vehicle. It is very common to come across damaged cars for sale, or cars that have been recently repaired. Driving in snow or rain isn’t the only hazard – hail storms, floods, blizzards, earthquakes and tornadoes can all cause extensive vehicle damage – especially hail storms, which cause billions of dollars in damage alone every year.
Uncover the complete history of your Pennsylvania registered vehicle in seconds! Run an Pennsylvania License Plate Lookup now by enter the details above.
Pennsylvania is a state located in the Northeastern, Great Lakes, Appalachian, and Mid-Atlantic regions of the United States. The Appalachian Mountains run through its middle. The Commonwealth is bordered by Delaware to the southeast, Maryland to the south, West Virginia to the southwest, Ohio to the west, Lake Erie and the Canadian province of Ontario to the northwest, New York to the north, and New Jersey to the east.
Pennsylvania is one of the 19 states that do not require a front license plate. Any person acquiring a new or used motor vehicle in Pennsylvania shall obtain a license plate within twenty (20) calendar days from the date of acquisition.
People who are living in Pennsylvania and driving a motor vehicle are required to maintain current vehicle registration to obtain a license plate and drive it on the roads and highway. All vehicles from out of state must register and get license plates before it can be driven on roads and highways.
Types of Pennsylvania License Plates
Pennsylvania has seven (7) types of plates available to choose from. Each type of license plate has different requirements and fees.
- Special Fund
- Wild Resource Conservation Fund
- Pennsylvania Zoological Council Fund
- Preserve Our Heritage
- Honoring Our Veterans
- Honoring Our Veterans Motorcycle
- Pennsylvania Monuments
- Pennsylvania Share the Road
- Standard Issue
- Teen Driver
- In God We Trust
- Special Organizations
- Personalized Plates
- Air Force Cross
- Airborne Unit
- Bronze Star
- Bronze Star for Valor
- Combat Action Badge
- Combat Infantryman Badge
- Combat Action Medal
- Combat Action Ribbon
- Combat Medical Badge
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Distinguished Service Cross
- Ex-Prisoner of War
- Expeditionary Forces
- Gold Star Family
- Korean Defense Service
- Korean War Veteran
- Medal of Honor
- Merchant Marine
- Navy Cross
- Operation Enduring Freedom
- Operation Iraqi Freedom
- Pearl Harbor Survivor
- Pennsylvania National Guard
- Persian Gulf War Veteran
- Purple Heart
- Silver Star
- U.S. Air Force
- U.S. Air Force Veteran
- U.S. Army
- U.S. Army Veteran
- U.S. Coast Guard
- U.S. Coast Guard Veteran
- U.S. Marine Corps
- U.S. Marine Corps Veteran
- U.S. Navy
- U.S. Navy Veteran
- Veteran Motorcycle
- Vietnam War Veteran
- World War II
Pennsylvania Laws on License Plates
Once the registration is complete, license plates shall be issued by the department to be displayed on the assigned vehicle. For damaged, lost or stolen license plate, you may apply for a new plate at the Department of Transportation. If the plate is stolen or lost, you must report the loss to the police within 48 hours.
License plates can be transferred to another vehicle owned by the registrant or to another vehicle owned by the registrant’s parent, spouse or child.