South Carolina License Plate Lookup
Buying a used car instead of new in South Carolina is a wise decision if you want to bag a bargain and save money in the process. Just make sure you do your homework well. If you have the license plate, you can get the full history including mileage, accidents, recalls, services, the number of owners. Simply enter the plate number to get records instantly. Don’t have the Plate number? Simply use the VIN Lookup tool on our website.
How to Lookup Any South Carolina License Plate Number
South Carolina License plate lookup will help you obtain all the information about the car you are searching. Under state law two license plates are required to be issued for most cars, vans and trucks. Trailers and Motorcycles require only one license plate. Every 8 years South Carolina has a law that requires the license plate design to change which must be easily distinguishable from the previous design.
If a license plate has been lost or stolen, a new or duplicate license plate and registration certificate will be issued by the South Carolina County Treasurer. Damaged license plates must be submitted to the South Carolina County Treasurer when you receive your new license plates.
By using our License plate lookup feature you can obtain information from the South Carolina Department of Transportation also known as the South Carolina DOT. You can get information related to vehicle specifications, ownership history, services history, title history, accident & damage checks, mileage records & recalls check. Each look up contains over 60 verifications covering every aspect of the vehicle. Simply enter the South Carolina license plate number into the field above and get instant results. At times, the license plate results in no results due to various reasons. Simply locate the VIN Number off the vehicle and use our VIN check tool to get the full history.
South Carolina DMV Resources
The website for the South Carolina DMV provides basic and crucial information that is beneficial for drivers and vital statistics for those who need to acquire important documents. The website itself is easy to navigate and has numerous services that are available to you right at the comfort of your own home.
The services that are provided to you through this website are remarkable. As well as very easy to understand and navigate. Like most websites there is a section for general information about office locations, hours and contact information for near your residence. When you first enter the website, you will see many options that are rather self explanatory so you can quickly navigate to what you are initially looking for. If you are a driver then you have the ability to get information on how to renew or replace your drivers license and if you are a new driver you can make an appointment right on the website to get your learner’s permit and take your required tests. Again if you are a new driver and have not taken your written test then there are practice test and handbook that you can get from the website to help you along the way.
There is a section for vehicle owners who want to obtain car titles or register their newly purchased vehicle. You have the option to change information like your address and name right from the DMV website so you do not have to go all the way to a ground location.
Another key thing that is available to you is access to your driving and criminal records. Alongside this you can find information on how to get a birth or marriage certificate. You have the option to apply for both from this site.
There is so much more content that is shown on the South Carolina DMV website. As you go through the website you will find a great amount of information on how to get plates and tags for your car(s) and exact pricing for each service that is provided by the department of motor vehicles. Extra information is also there to assist you in understanding car insurance and tips for buying your first car. Forms are also uploaded for you to print depending on what application you specifically need. No information is unsaid on this website so you wouldn’t even need to call in.
Why should you run an South Carolina VIN Check?
- To check for accidents – around 8 million car accidents are reported annually by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- To check for title brands – flood, hail-damage, and salvage titles are examples of critical title brands to look for before you purchase a used car
- Look for used-cars that have had special-purpose designations – including taxi use, rental use, police use, commercial use and more.
- To check and see if the vehicle has been stolen – the rates of stolen cars in South Carolina in the year 2016 were 31.2 cars stolen per day. By running a license plate search you are ensuring that you are not purchasing a stolen car or a car with stolen parts.
Statistics on Accidents, Theft and Disasters:
- Number of cars registered as of 2018: 1,830,186.
- Accidents (Source: 2018 South Carolina Crash Report)
- 102,907 traffic accidents resulted in 40,653 cases of injuries and 889 resulted in fatalities.
- In 2016. South Carolina crash fatality rate was higher than the national crash fatality rate (1.56 vs 1.15 per hundred million vehicle miles).
- 52.7% of the total crashes involved passenger cars.
- In their lifetime, typical drivers in South Carolina have a greater than one-in-three chance of being in a crash resulting to injury or death.
- Motor Vehicle Theft (Source: 2016 Crime in South Carolina Report)
- Motor vehicle theft rate for South Carolina in 2016 was 234.5 thefts for every 100,000 inhabitants.
- On average, there were 31.2 motor vehicles stolen per day.
- Natural Disasters / Hazards
- South Carolina ranks as 19th most disaster-prone state with 46 major disaster declarations from 1953 to 2017 (Source: NBC News report).
- The state is prone to tropical storms and hurricanes, and most of the state is located in a region of tornado alley known as “Dixie Alley.”
Check for Loans & Liens on a vehicle in South Carolina
If you’re lucky enough, you don’t really know what are those liens or recalls. Let’s get a little bit deeper into this to give you an explanation on how it works.
Cars (and sometimes other vehicles) can be recalled by manufacturers if it turns out that some model has critical defects. In such cases, the recalled vehicles need to be repaired. Many car owner and dealers are too lazy or too busy to follow this procedure. Therefore, their cars go without repair but with leakages, out-of-order breaks, or dysfunctional airbags. Our records will show you whether a car had been recalled and whether it was repaired after that. All manufacturer recalls can be repaired for free at your local dealership.
A word lien means that a vehicle is used to secure a loan payment. If a debtor fails to pay, a creditor may sell the property, in our case car. You don’t want your car to be involved in manipulations like this. Say you purchase a vehicle from a buyer that did not notify you of a lien on the vehicle. What will happen is that the credit financing company will repossess the vehicle due to the lien regardless of you being a new owner and not incumbent on the lien. It is ALWAYS recommended to check a vehicle and ensure that loans & liens have been paid off.
Buying a used car in South Carolina?
Don’t make a costly mistake and end up with regrets. Run a License Plate Lookup on your South Carolina -registered vehicle and get all the facts. Premium VIN check utilizes national databases, such as, the NMVTIS, Department of Motor Vehicles, Ministry of Transportation, car manufacturers’ databases, insurance companies, car auctions, car dealers, state records, inspections stations and includes over 60 checks on every report.
Here’s what you can discover about any vehicle by doing a license plate lookup:
- The number of owners – Find out the number of owners the vehicle had including the number of owners, duration of ownership, registration details such as country, state and city of registration. Find out the duration of ownership of each owner in the vehicle’s history. Many customers have located their old vehicle using our VIN look up tool.
- Mileage information – Check odometer records on any vehicle by entering in the VIN number. Mileage information will include mileage, date and location when it was registered. The odometer records include title records, registration and renewals.
- Accidents history – In the event that the vehicle was seriously damaged previously, it tends to be hazardous to drive it since you may never realize how a vehicle performs at high speed after a full repair.
- Airbag deployment – You should ensure that the vehicle has all the airbags and, in the event that it doesn’t have, discover why.
- Vehicle Specifications – Every vehicle comes with special options and packages at the time of purchase. Using our license plate lookup tool, you can find detailed specifications such as model, trim, engine, transmission, fuel, exterior and interior options, standard safety features, air bags, audio system, braes, comfort features, convenience features and security features. Find out over 200+ specifications on any vehicle by running the check.
- Market Value – Wondering how much the vehicle is actually worth? Our report shows you the market value of the vehicle based on estimated mileage. Learn about depreciation and resale value of the vehicle compared to others being sold in the market.
- Warranty Status – Find out if the vehicle has any information including the type of coverage for warranty status.
- Police incidents – Each license plate lookup will verify information from law enforcement agencies to help determine if the vehicle had any claims. Find out if the vehicle has a clean history.
- Safety rating – Use our crash ratings guide to find useful information on the safety of the vehicle in a crash, including its technical capabilities to avoid accidents.
- Recall and Defect information – Vehicle’s are notorious for having recalls. Some of these recalls affect the safety and performance off the vehicle. Learn if the vehicle has had any manufacturer recalls. If there are defects, learn about their impact on safety and how to fix the issues.
- Department of Motor Vehicle Records – Every license plate lookup will verify title records from the Department of Motor Vehicles and government agencies. In Canada, this would be the Ministry of Transportation.
- Insurance Databases – Find out the number of claims made with insurance for the vehicle. It is highly recommended to verify if the vehicle has a clean history.
- Inspection Records – Multiple states have a law in place where emissions & safety inspections must be done yearly. Find out if the vehicle has had its yearly inspections done on time and if there were any outstanding issues with its inspections.
- Natural Disasters – When most people think of car damage, they assume the damage was caused by a collision. Natural disasters and intense weather conditions can cause significant damage to a vehicle. It is very common to come across damaged cars for sale, or cars that have been recently repaired. Driving in snow or rain isn’t the only hazard – hail storms, floods, blizzards, earthquakes and tornadoes can all cause extensive vehicle damage – especially hail storms, which cause billions of dollars in damage alone every year.
Uncover the complete history of your South Carolina registered vehicle in seconds! Run an South Carolina License Plate Lookup now by enter the details above.
Search VIN by state
South Carolina is a state in the Southeastern United States and the easternmost of the Deep South. It is bordered to the north by North Carolina, to the southeast by the Atlantic Ocean, and to the southwest by Georgia across the Savannah River.
South Carolina became the eighth state to ratify the U.S. Constitution on May 23, 1788. It also became the first state to vote in favor of secession from the Union on December 20, 1860. After the American Civil War, it was readmitted into the United States on June 25, 1868.
South Carolina is one of the 19 states that do not require a front license plate. Any person acquiring a new or used motor vehicle in South Carolina shall obtain a license plate within (45) days from the date of acquisition.
If you have moved to South Carolina from any other state, you need to transfer your registration and vehicle’s title to South Carolina.
In South Carolina after completing registration, the DMV will issue license plates which must be displayed at the back of your vehicle.
Types of South Carolina License Plates
South Carolina has Seven (7) categories of plates available to choose from. Each type of license plate has different requirements and fees.
- College & University
- Allen University
- Anderson College
- Appalachian State University
- Auburn University
- Benedict College
- Bob Jones University
- Charleston Southern University
- Claflin University
- Clemson University
- Coastal Carolina University
- Coker College
- College of Charleston
- Columbia College
- Converse College
- Erskine College
- Florida State University
- Francis Marion University
- Furman University
- Georgia Tech Foundation
- Lander University
- Limestone College
- Medical University of South Carolina
- Morris College
- Newberry College
- North Carolina State University
- North Greenville University
- Presbyterian College
- Purdue University
- SC State University
- Southern Wesleyan University
- The Citadel
- The Ohio State University
- University of Alabama
- University of Florida
- University of Georgia
- University of North Carolina
- University of South Carolina
- University of Tennessee
- US Air Force Academy
- US Naval Academy
- Voorhees College
- Winthrop University
- Wofford College
- Carolina Panthers
- Clemson 2016 National Football Championship
- First in Golf
- Play Tennis!
- Share the Road
- Special Olympics
- USC Baseball National Champions
- USC 2017 Women’s Basketball National Champions
- Disabled Plates
- Disabled Veteran
- Disabled Veteran Handicapped
- Disabled Veteran Motorcycle
- Personalized Disabled Plate
- Purple Heart Disabled Plate
- Veteran Wheelchair
- Bronze Star
- Disabled Plates
- Disabled Veteran Motorcycle
- Personalized License Plate
- Purple Heart Motorcycle
- Silver Star
- Amateur Radio
- Driven By The Arts
- Ducks Unlimited
- Emergency Medical Technician
- Endangered Species
- Farm Vehicle
- Gone Fishing
- HL Hunley
- In God We Trust
- Keep it Beautiful
- Morris Island Lighthouse
- No More Homeless Pets
- Northwestern High School
- Penn Center
- Public Education
- Reduce Reuse Recycle
- Square Dance
- Technology Alliance
- United We Stand
- Working for the Wild Turkey
- Air Force Cross
- Air Force Distinguished Service Cross
- Army Distinguished Service Cross
- Army Distinguished Service Medal Plate
- Bronze Star
- Coast Guard Distinguished Service Medal
- Distinguished Flying Cross
- Gold Star Family
- Korean Veteran
- Marine Distinguished Service Medal
- Medal of Honor
- National Guard
- Navy Cross
- Navy Distinguished Service Medal
- Pearl Harbor
- Prisoner of War
- Purple Heart
- Purple Heart Motorcycle
- Silver Star
- Support Our Troops
- US Armed Forces Retired
- US Military Reserve
- US Navy Chief Petty Officer
- Veteran Motorcycle
- Vietnam Veteran
- World War II
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
- Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
- American Red Cross
- Ancient Free Masons
- Autism Awareness
- Beaufort Water Festival
- Boy Scouts of America
- Boykin Spaniel Foundation
- Breast Cancer Awareness
- Camp Sertoma
- Chase Away Childhood Cancer
- Children’s Hospital of Greenville Health System
- Choose Life SC
- Coastal Conservation Association
- Delta Sigma Theta
- Donate Life
- Dr. Mary McLeod Bethune
- Eagle Scouts of America
- Earth Echo International
- Emergency Medical Services
- Forestry Association of South Carolina
- Fraternal Order of Police
- Georgia Tech Foundation
- Heritage Classic Foundation
- Homeownership: The American Dream
- Friends of Hunting Island State Park
- In Reason We Trust
- Kappa Alpha Psi
- Kiwanis International Foundation
- Lions International
- Marine Corps League
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
- MUSC Children’s Hospital
- Nurses Foundation
- Omega Psi Phi
- Our Farms Our Future
- Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital
- Phi Beta Sigma
- Powering the Palmetto State
- Prince Hall Masons
- Prince Hall Order of the Eastern Star
- Quality Deer Management
- Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- Rotary International
- SC Ancient Free and Accepted Masons
- SC Aviation Association- Hall of Fame
- SC Cattlemen’s Association
- SC Chiropractic Association
- SC Elks Foundation
- SC Equality
- SC Stands With Israel
- SC Troopers Association
- Sigma Gamma Rho
- Sons of Confederate Veterans
- Surfrider Foundation
- Tree My Dog
- Trees SC
- West Point
- Wildlife Deer
- Wildlife Painted Bunting
- Wilson High School
- Zeta Phi Beta
South Carolina Laws on License Plates
You can transfer a license plate from one vehicle to a newly acquired vehicle on the date of its purchase. As mentioned above the owner must register the vehicle with the Department of Motor Vehicles within forty-five days from its purchase date.
Check VIN by Manufacturer
Vehicles Report contain up to date information to the second from state & federal databases about the vehicle’s complete history. Simply enter the VIN number of any car, truck, trailer, motorcycle, classic cars, RV, motor home to obtain the complete history and specifications. Our comprehensive VIN check is used by customers around the world including the largest dealers & auctions in North America.
Why should I run a VIN Check with Premium Vin?
Vehicles Report is an unbiased report that reveals the overall information about any vehicle’s background. You can check various information about any vehicle such as vehicle registration specifications, recall information, loan history of the vehicle, mileage records, how old the vehicle is, the number of previous owners, accident or auction records. This way, you get to know all the necessary details about the vehicle you are planning to buy or sell. Simply provide the vehicles VIN number in order to pull up an instant detailed vehicle report on any car, truck, trailer, classic cars, RV, motor home or motorcycle.
Premium Vin is a tool that will enable you to know how the car has been taken care of by the vehicle’s previous owners. Details about insurance claims, accident records, loan & liens, police reports, service records or manufacturer recalls will come up in the search. Each report will check the following:
How Does it Work?
Vehicles Report offer a wealth of information about used cars and their past. We have one of the largest used car databases in the world that obtains information from State & Federal records ensuring 100% accurate and up-to-date records. With access to over 21 billion records we guarantee you will always receive an in depth history report. Simply enter your VIN Number and pay for the records to instantly view the report within minutes.
Benefits of Vehicles Report
A VIN check can help you avoid scams and ensure your vehicle is in good shape. It is useful when selling a vehicle as data shows 35% off sellers providing a history report get their asking price and sell their vehicles faster. When buying a used car, always run a history report when dealing with a private seller or dealer to ensure you know what the vehicle has been through. Enter your VIN and get up to date information by running a vin check today. Here are 4 red flags that we’ve highlighted that come up as costly mistakes if a vehicle hasn’t thoroughly been checked.
– Has the car previously been written off? All this means is that it was decided that the repairs off the car would cost more than what the vehicle is worth. If a car has been written off or issued a salvage title, there’s a good chance it has some invisible damage or shoddy repairs that should be verified. Many of these vehicles are exported to overseas markets.
– Is the car still under finance? If the car is still under finance, the seller should warn the buyer. If you have only found out through the history report, contact the seller immediately to get proof that the vehicle has been paid off. We have seen numerous cases where customers purchase a vehicle with a loan/lien only to have it reclaimed by the financial lender even if the previous owner had the debt under their name, costing the customer thousands of dollars.
– Has the odometer been rolled back? This is one of the easiest ways to see if the seller is trying to rip you off. If our vehicle report shows inconsistencies with the mileage, then it would be in your best interest to walk away from the transaction.
– Is it poorly maintained? If the car has a very poor history, then its a long way from good as new and will likely not be as reliable as other options out there. Always have options and purchase the additional report package to run several vehicles and choose the one that has the most reliable history.
Premium Vin Methodology
Being the most advanced and comprehensive used car, truck and motorcycle vin check, Vehicles Report accesses the most up to date record available on the vehicle from federal and state databases. If you are planning to buy or sell a used vehicle, you need to be well-informed about its background, and this is where Vehicles Report can help. It provides an unbiased vehicle history report and gives information about the vehicles past. Vehicles Report takes any vehicle’s VIN number to generate a comprehensive report for that vehicle. The report contains various information about the vehicle such as registration details, vehicle specifications, vehicle recalls, accidents, loans & liens and many other important points.