When looking to buy a used car, it is very important to know the mileage and also verify it.
This is because you want to make sure you are not buying a car that has been tampered with. The mileage on a vehicle is very important because it gives you an idea of the price of the vehicle.
In this article, we will be looking at ways to determine and verify the mileage of a used car engine.
How To Verify Mileage On A Used Car Engine?
If you suspect that the mileage on a car is not genuine, here are some steps to check the accuracy.
- Check the MOT certificates and service documents for consistency of mileage readings.
- Try contacting previous owners on the logbook and asking them what the mileage was when they sold the vehicle.
- Get the mileage information using a VIN check
How To Tell The Actual Mileage On A Car?
The best person to check the actual mileage of any vehicle is a professional, as they are able to accurately assess the vehicle. But if you want to do it yourself, here are some steps to follow
- Do a VIN Check: Using the car’s VIN number you can easily check for the mileage. Here is a sample report from Instant Vehicle Reports showing you the vehicle’s mileage
- Check The Vehicle Documents: Another way to check the mileage is by going through the vehicle documents to check if the vehicle history and what the seller is saying match up. Always request the original documents of the vehicle and not a copy. This is because it has been known for sellers to engage in fraud by forging copies of the original documents.
- Use Computer Diagnostic Tools: You can also check the mileage of a vehicle by connecting the odometer to diagnostic devices. These will help you identify approximate data about the distance traveled which you can rely on when assessing the vehicle. You should not depend on just this method when assessing the vehicle as these instruments might not be accurate all the time.
- Visit a Mechanic: Another way to check the mileage of a vehicle is by having a professional mechanic look at the vehicle. This is because they can instantly spot if the odometer has been tampered with and also let you know if the vehicle is in a good condition.
How Many Miles Should a Used Engine Have?
While there is no specific figure, ideally you want to see figures less than 100,000 miles when buying a used vehicle. This is because the higher the miles on a car engine, the more wear and tear the vehicle might have likely suffered. Before buying a used vehicle, check the engine and ensure it has less than 100,000 miles on it.
How Do I Know If a Used Car Engine Is Still Good?
The fastest way to know if the engine on a used car is still good is by carrying out an oil analysis. By analyzing a sample of used engine oil, you can easily determine the amount of contamination, the wear rates, and the overall condition of your engine.
The real benefit of an oil analysis is that it acts as an early warning system, alerting you to potential issues before they become permanent.
While looking around to get a used vehicle, ensure you check and verify the mileage. This is very important as it will ensure you do not buy a vehicle with issues that cost you a fortune to fix.
One thing to note is that you should always run a VIN check before buying a used vehicle as it provides you with detailed mileage information